Reduce your Eco-footprint!
Recycling isn't the only way you can a live greener life. Making small lifestyle changes is easy! Not only will you be helping the environment, but you will be saving money and living healthier!
Here are some other ideas to consider
- Buy locally grown produce and locally raised meats/dairy/eggs whenever you can. Purchasing from local farmers not only reduces fuel consumption and pollution, but also keeps money in the local economy.
- Even when appliances are "off", they are still consuming energy. Unplug appliances when they are not in use to eliminate "phantom" energy use.
- Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs. They last longer and use 75% less energy than standard bulbs. This can save you money on your energy bill over time.
- Turn off running water – for example, when brushing your teeth or washing dishes, if the water isn't being used, turn it off. Also, try washing more dishes by hand. A dish washer uses about 10-15 gallons of water per wash.
- Take reusable cloth shopping bags to the grocery store instead of using plastic bags. Most grocery stores sell reusable bags for as little as 99 cents.
- Parents, consider switching to cloth diapers for your little ones. Disposable diapers take up an enormous amount of space in landfills and don't easily break down.
- Try riding a bike or walking to your destination if it's within a short distance – it's healthier for you and healthier for the earth!